Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
World
Guardian staff with agencies

Norway bow and arrow attack: what we know so far about Kongsberg killings

Police officers investigate at the scene after a bow and arrow attack killed five people in Norway.
Police officers investigate at the scene after a bow and arrow attack killed five people in Norway. Photograph: NTB/Reuters

What we know:

  • A Danish man in his 30s is in custody after five people were killed and two others injured in a series of assaults using a bow and arrows in Norway on Wednesday evening.

  • The country’s intelligence service said the attack appeared to be an “act of terror”.

  • The suspect is a Muslim convert who had previously been flagged as having been radicalised, according to police, but establishing motive would be “complicated … and will take time”.

  • The suspect, who police say has confessed, is being held on preliminary charges, one step short of being formally charged. He is believed to have acted alone.

  • The attack took place at around 6.15pm local time in the suspect’s home town of Kongsberg, about 50 miles (80km) south-west of the capital, Oslo.

  • Several of the victims were fired on in a Coop supermarket in the town, and the attacker used other weapons as well as a bow and arrows.

  • The suspect was arrested after what police called a “confrontation” about 20 minutes after the attack began.

  • Police said there were several crime scenes spread across a large area of the town.

  • Norway’s national police directorate said it had ordered officers nationwide to carry firearms.

  • The acting prime minister, Erna Solberg, described reports of the attack as “horrifying”. The prime minister-designate, Jonas Gahr Støre, who is expected to take office on Thursday, called the assault “a cruel and brutal act”.

  • The death toll was the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when the far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers at a youth camp.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.