Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Ian Johnson

Northumberland County Council begin work to remove 30ft whale from beach

The 30ft carcass of a dead whale is set to be removed from Blyth Beach.

The decomposing whale washed up last week, emitting what officials said was an "unpleasant smell" as the public were told to stay away.

A cordon has been in place across the weekend, as officials planned an operation to remove the huge creature from the popular Northumberland beach.

That operation got under way on Monday morning and Northumberland County Council said that the beach should be fully reopened by the end of the day.

"Securing the permission required for this and planning the removal and disposal logistics started on Friday and now a multi agency team has begun the removal operation this morning," said a spokesperson for the authority.

"The work involved will take a few hours and this section of the beach will be reopened later this afternoon.

"People are thanked for their patience".

Dog walkers were specifically warned to "stay away" from the carcass, with instructions to keep pets on leads.

Last year, a minke whale washed up on a beach in South Tyneside, sparking a similar warning.

And in 2019, a young humpback whale was found at the coast between Craster and Dunstanburgh Castle.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.