Enter your email to read this article
Read news on any topic, in one place, from publishers like The Economist, FT, Bloomberg and more.

Northern Territory Police say they have found allegedly abducted girl Grace Hughes

Grace Hughes, who was allegedly abducted in the Northern Territory, has been found safe and well.

Northern Territory police have located five-year old girl, Grace Hughes, who has been missing for nearly a fortnight in an alleged child abduction.

Police allege Grace was taken without permission by her mother Laura Hinks, also known as Laura Bolt, during a supervised parental visit in the Darwin suburb of Berrimah on the afternoon of August 7.

Grace is receiving a medical check but is physically in good health, NT Police said in a statement.

Her mother is currently assisting police with their inquiries.

Authorities said on Thursday that a group peddling "ideologies and false information" was also behind the alleged abduction.

Speaking to reporters in Alice Springs, Detective Superintendent Kirsten Engels said Grace was handed over to police in Darwin about 10am on Friday. 

"We're still building a full picture of what's occurred ... but I can tell you that she's safely home now," she said. 

Police did not respond to questions about where Grace been.

Laura Hinks pictured with her daughter Grace Hughes. (Supplied: NT Police)

Grace 'safely home', one person in custody 

Detective Superintendent Engels said one person is in custody, with many others helping police with inquiries. 

"We believe that a person connected with [a] group that has taken responsibility for the alleged abduction and concealment of Grace was the person who handed her in this morning," she said. 

"We're very, very grateful that the community came to the party and provided us with many leads of inquiry.

"All of them were followed."

Earlier this week, NT Police joined forces with the Australian Federal Police and other agencies to escalate their hunt for the young girl.

NT Police made the claims about a group peddling "ideologies and false information" over the alleged abduction in a statement. 

Kirsten Engels says Grace is "happy to be home".  (ABC News: Hamish Harty)

Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Jon Beer described the conduct of the group they claim to be potentially involved as "despicable". 

"Anyone who is found to have harboured those who abducted Grace will face significant charges before the courts," he said.

Another Darwin woman, 50-year-old Juliet Oldroyd, was on Saturday charged with child abduction in relation to the disappearance of Grace.

Ms Oldroyd faced Darwin Local Court on Monday, represented by her husband Craig and flanked by a group of supporters.

Mr Oldroyd told the court he did not have any legal qualifications, but later told media outside court that he had contacted an "international human rights lawyer".

Juliet Oldroyd's husband Craig Oldroyd said he will act on behalf of his wife in court.  (ABC News: Melissa Mackay)

Police have thanked members of the community who provided information. 

Related Stories
Australian Federal Police join NT Police in search for abducted girl Grace Hughes
Police have escalated their search for abducted five-year-old girl, Grace Hughes, forming a taskforce with the Australian Federal Police and…
From analysis to the latest developments in health, read the most diverse news in one place.
Second woman charged over alleged abduction of five-year-old Grace Hughes after little girl handed over to police
A 35-year-old woman has been charged and remanded in custody a day after the young girl was returned to police…
Task force to track down missing NT girl
Northern Territory Police have established a task force as they step up efforts to find abducted five-year-old Grace Hughes.
Second woman charged over child abduction
A five-year-old girl who went missing in the NT has been returned to her family with police inquiries continuing and…
The Loop: Top cop resigns after lewd comment, Apple's security flaw, 9yo saves mum's life
Here's your TL;DR for today's news.
One place to find news on any topic, from hundreds of sites.
Man arrested over suspected abduction and sexual assault of six-year-old girl in Manchester
A 35-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday in connection to the incident but was later released with no further action