Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Birmingham Post
Birmingham Post
Business
Gareth Wyn-Williams

North Wales power station decision has been put on hold

A planning decision over the multi-billion pound Wylfa Newydd development will be made almost a year later than expected, the UK Government has confirmed.

The project on Anglesey was suspended in January last year after Japanese tech giant Hitachi failed to reach a funding deal with the UK government under Theresa May.

But in what was hoped would be a move to restart the project, the UK Government was expected to grant vital planning permission – known as a Development Consent Order – to construct the £12bn power station on the island. A decision had been expected by Tuesday.

However, no judgement is now expected until late September – almost a year later than had been planned.

A statement by Anglesey council’s planning inspectorate on Wednesday, noted: “The deadline for the decision on the proposed Wylfa Newydd (Nuclear Generating Station) Order application was 23 October 2019 but that deadline was reset to 31 March 2020 to allow further information in respect of environmental effects and other outstanding issues to be provided and considered.

“Following initial analysis of the further information which has now been provided, the Secretary of State has concluded that an additional period of time is required in order to complete his consideration in respect of environmental effects and other issues which were outstanding following the examination.

“The Secretary of State (Alok Sharma) has decided to re-set the statutory deadline for this application to 30 September 2020.”

A spokesman for Horizon
Nuclear Power, a subsidiary of Hitachi, said they were “disappointed” but that the delay was “not unexpected given the current national circumstances”.

He added, “We understand why the Secretary of State needs further time to complete his considerations.

“We are pleased to note that no further information has been requested but stand ready to assist in any way needed to ensure that a decision can be reached on this crucial project.”

The island’s MP, Virginia Crosbie, shared the “disappointment” but understood that the Government is “currently involved in more pressing matters”.

She added: “I continue to support clean nuclear energy as the only way to meet our 2050 net zero carbon target.”

But a spokesman for anti-
nuclear group People Against Wylfa B said they are calling for the Wylfa Newydd plans to be “totally rejected”.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.