Donald Trump, when asked if the US will attack North Korea, said: "we'll see".
Mr Trump tweeted on 3 September that he will be meeting with Defence Secretary James Mattis, White House Chief of Staff and former head of Homeland Security John Kelly, and "other military leaders" to discuss North Korea strategy.
The President's comment comes after US intelligence officials said there was no reason to doubt the isolated state had conducted another test of a deadly weapon.
"We have nothing to cause us to doubt that this was a test of an advanced nuclear device," the official said, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity.
North Korea claimed to have tested an advanced hydrogen bomb for a long-range missile on 3 September, its 14th test this year.
The US official said, however, it would take some time to complete a thorough analysis of the size of the blast and type of device detonated.
In July 2017, US intelligence officials said they believed mercurial leader Kim Jong-un had been able to make a nuclear warhead capable of fitting on an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
Pyongyang also made inflammatory threats towards Guam, the US territory in the Pacific where there are American military installations as well the country's nuclear submarine fleet.
Mr Trump also tweeted that the US is considering "stopping all trade" with any countries "doing business" with Pyongyang, which would include America's largest trading partner, China.
He previously commented that "all options are on the table" with regards to North Korea, worrying many that he was jumping to military action.
Mr Mattis, however, said that the US is never going to run out of possible diplomatic solutions, implying that military action against Mr Kim is a last resort.
The United Nations Security Council is preparing to meeting on Monday morning to discuss the test at the request of officials from the US, Japan, UK, France and South Korea.
Authorities have not yet confirmed how strong the weapon is or what it looked like inside, but the US Geological Survey reported a seismic event of 6.3 on the Richter scale as a result of the test. Previous Pyongyang tests have resulted in events closer to five on the scale.
United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres said the latest test of the hydrogen bomb is "profoundly destabilising for regional security".
South Korea has been testing its own weapons at border installations as a result of increased tensions.
The North also launched a missile across the northern part of Hokkaido island of Japan, prompting a phone call between Mr Trump and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during which both agreed that North "poses a grave and growing direct threat" to the region and Japan.