Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
AAP
AAP
Health
Hannah Ryan

No major vaccine worries for NSW

Health Minister Brad Hazzard says NSW's long term vaccination plans are resilient to challenge. (AAP)

NSW is not fazed by the federal government's changed vaccine rollout plans, Health Minister Brad Hazzard says.

Mr Hazzard told reporters on Friday he had no major concerns about the alterations to the national vaccine scheme, though the state's rollout to health workers has temporarily stopped.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Thursday AstraZeneca was no longer recommended for under-50s because of an extremely rare but serious blood clot side effect, on advice from health officials.

Australia was relying on AstraZeneca jabs to be the backbone of coronavirus immunisations through 50 million locally produced doses.

"Our long term plans are resilient to the challenges of transporting and refrigerating Pfizer," Mr Hazzard said of the other major vaccine in use.

"It is still possible ... to take out the Pfizer vaccine (to vaccination centres), we don't have any major concerns about that."

NSW plans to open 100 vaccination centres, as well as a major hub at Homebush, in Sydney's west.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said earlier this week the government aimed to vaccinate 60,000 people per week to help Canberra reach its targets.

NSW Health administered 6228 vaccine doses in the 24 hours to 8pm Thursday, taking the state's total to 140,551.

The state recorded two new COVID-19 cases in hotel quarantine for the period.

Meanwhile, Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party MP Helen Dalton, who represents the electorate of Murray in the state's southwest, says she has been contacted by a local doctor concerns about the federal government's aged care rollout.

Aged care residents are still waiting for their jabs weeks after they should have gotten them, Griffith GP Elizabeth Dodd wrote in a letter to Mrs Dalton.

"Dr Dodd did the paperwork for my father Glen - an 88-year-old Pioneer Lodge resident - to get the vaccine a full six weeks ago," Mrs Dalton said.

"But my Dad is still waiting. Dr Dodd has not received any information back from the government. It's a complete farce."

Ms Berejiklian and NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant will address the vaccine issue on Friday afternoon.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.