Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Politics
Ben Glaze & Pippa Crerar & Martin Bagot

Boris Johnson spends second night in intensive care as coronavirus symptoms continue

Dominic Raab insisted there would be no let-up in the fight against coronavirus while Boris Johnson continues his own battle with the disease.

As the PM spent a second night in intensive care, “stable” and breathing on his own without a ventilator, the Foreign Secretary said the Cabinet is focused on the task in his absence.

But Chief Scientific Officer Sir Patrick Vallance warned that could mean lockdown would continue beyond the three-week review, until there were signs the peak has passed.

Although he revealed new hospital admissions “flattening off”.

As the UK death toll rose 786 to 6,159 – the highest leap yet – Mr Raab warned the worst thing the country could do was “take its foot off the pedal” by lifting restrictions.

For the latest on the coronavirus pandemic, click here

Dominic Raab spoke at a daily news briefing where he updated the public on Johnson's condition (PIPPA FOWLES/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)

The 46-year-old has been asked to “deputise” for the PM “where ­necessary”,

He said: “I’m ­confident he’ll pull through. He will be back leading us through this crisis in short order. We know exactly what he wants from us and expects from us right now.

“I can reassure the Prime Minister, and we can reassure the public, that his team will not blink or flinch in the task ahead at this crucial moment.

“We will keep all of our focus and our resolve, with calm ­determination, to defeat the coronavirus.”

No10 refused to comment on reports the PM had been given four litres of oxygen when people are usually moved to ICU after 15 litres.

The PM began receiving emergency treatment yesterday (10 Downing Street/AFP via Getty)

And it angrily denied claims that he was receiving any special treatment.

But while messages of goodwill flooded in for Mr Johnson, who doctors said did not have pneumonia as first feared, doubts emerged over his coronavirus strategy after Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty admitted Britain’s coronavirus testing scheme lagged way behind Germany’s.

He said: “Germany got ahead on testing. We’ve got a lot to learn from that and we’ve been trying to learn the lessons from that.”

Around one million people have been tested in Germany, compared to just 213,181 in the UK.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock had promised 100,000 checks a day, but not until the end of the month – up from around 14,000.

Messages of support for the PM have flooded in (Getty Images)

Intensive testing allows health services to understand how widely the virus has spread, making it easier to cope more effectively with demand on ICUs.

It can also help to inform decisions on whether to tighten or relax social-distancing measures and whether individuals are safe to return to work.

In other developments:

  • Michael Gove became the latest senior minister to self-isolate, after a member of his family members displayed mild symptoms.
  • Of the new victims, aged between 23 and 102, 29 had no known underlying health condition.
  • The figure could have been even higher but a “data processing delay” meant some deaths were excluded.
  • The Government denied social care is being treated as a “Cinderella” service as ­organisations continue to report insufficient supplies of protective equipment.
Raab will be 'deputising' for the seriously-ill Johnson (Getty Images)

Mr Johnson’s health deteriorated on Monday, more than 10 days after he was first laid low.

Downing Street faced criticism for allowing him to continue working despite being desperately ill. But allies insisted he was “fitter” than he looks.

Friend Will Walden said: “He runs regularly, he doesn’t smoke, he drinks moderately. So I think if anyone is in a good position both physically and mentally to fight off the disease then the Prime Minister is that person.”

Mr Gove added: “He is receiving the best possible treatment.”

The number of new coronavirus cases in Italy is continuing to fall and China reported no deaths yesterday – the first time since the start of the outbreak. Lockdown is due to be eased in Wuhan today.

But the number of deaths in Spain and France continued to rise.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.