Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Manchester Evening News
Manchester Evening News
National
Jonathan Humphries & Ashlie Blakey

No help for Manchester man sleeping rough in Liverpool - unless temperature falls below 2C

A homeless man sleeping rough in Liverpool has reportedly been told he can't be given emergency shelter unless the temperature falls below 2C.

The man, who is originally from Manchester but is now is living in a tent in the Garston area of Liverpool.

He said he faced threats in hometown and was reluctant to return to the city, the Liverpool Echo reports.

But the council in Liverpool is unable to give him accommodation because he doesn't have a 'local connection' to the area.

This is defined in law as someone who has lived there for six out of the previous 12 months.

READ MORE: Number of homeless people in Manchester almost EIGHT times higher than anywhere else in the North West, new report claims

The man was told the council's 'hands were tied' due to the rule in the Government's homelessness code of guidance for local authorities.

Those working in the sector managed to find him a single night in a hostel, but are only able to waive the rule if the temperature drops below 2C.

Homelessness campaigners now say they fear there could be 'deaths on the streets' after emergency funded to put people up in hotels and temporary accommodation ended.

Before the pandemic, the council was able to get around the local connection rule using overnight shelter Labre House, as it was classed as a "limited hours shelter" rather than accommodation.

However the shelter was forced to close in March 2020 after it was deemed unsafe due to covid, and it is not set to re-open.

After the pandemic swept across the UK in March 2020, the government launched its 'Everyone In' scheme, providing councils with the cash to house every rough sleeper on their patch.

Councils block booked hotels, secured en-suite apartments, took over student halls and found rooms in bed and breakfasts for anyone sleeping rough, regardless of local connection or immigration status.

Despite continuing the programme longer than national rules demanded, Liverpool Council returned to normal policy in August.

John Finnegan, chief executive of charity Liverpool Homeless FC and formerly Mayoral Lead for Rough Sleeping, told the ECHO he had noticed a significant rise in calls from people unable to access help to get a roof over their heads.

He said: "It was overnight basically when the hotels closed and asked people to leave.

Aimee Teese battled drug addiction for much of her short life (Liverpool Echo)

"If you close the hotels and they could not find temporary accommodation, then they are going on to the streets.

"With covid homelessness has risen and my fear is we will see more deaths on the streets if people have nowhere to go.

"I have been getting around one call a week from people who are not able to access shelter. Quite often I can call up and help them find a bed but not everyone has a John Finnegan in their corner."

Michelle Langan, founder of homelessness charity the Papercup Project, also described fearing for the lives of homeless people in Liverpool.

She referred to 30-year-old Aimee Tease, whose body was found inside a tent near Eldon Grove, Vauxhall, on January 8, 2019 prompting outpourings of shock and anger.

Ms Langan said: "As we head into winter we want to know that everyone is eligible to get help.

"Over the past couple of months we have come across people in the city who are sleeping rough and who don't have a connection to Liverpool, which makes it difficult for them to access accommodation.

"After the death a few years ago of Aimee Teese, who was found inside a tent, I don't want to hear about anymore deaths of rough sleepers which could have been prevented.

"Liverpool has previously offered 'help to all' going beyond the statutory provision expected by the government and we hope that continues as we head into winter."

Michelle Langan runs the Papercup Project which works to support homeless people and rough sleepers in Liverpool (Liverpool Echo)

Ms Langan said the problem could be more severe than is known, with "hidden homeless" reluctant to come forward due to fears over their immigration status or mental health issues.

Liverpool Council was keen to stress it is legally unable to provide accommodation for people without a local connection, but said it would help to direct any rough sleepers to where they can find help.

Under national SWEP legislation, all council's must provide emergency accommodation for rough sleepers when temperatures hit zero, but Liverpool Council said it activates SWEP at 2°C.

A spokesman said: "Under the Everyone In approach, the council has accommodated more than 2,000 people since the pandemic began.

"Instead of a limited hours shelter, we now provide dedicated accommodation with 24 hour support.

"Liverpool's SWEP policy does not follow national guidance (three nights at zero or below) but the council doesn't wait for SWEP to be activated to offer support to people who are rough sleeping.

"Our outreach team is out 21 hours a day/seven days week doing that.

"In Liverpool we offer everyone support to come off the streets. During SWEP we will offer accommodation to anyone who does not have a solution that they can already return to."

The council said it could not comment on the case of the homeless man in Garston.

Sign up to the MEN email newsletters to get the latest on sport, news, what's on and more by following this link

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.