Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Nick Bielby

No grace period when lockdown comes in: Police

Assistant Commissioner Peter McKenna at Newcastle Police Station on Thursday afternoon. Picture: Marina Neil

The Northern NSW police chief is urging Hunter residents to work together to get out of lockdown as quickly as possible, warning that there will not be a grace period for people breaching the harsher COVID-19 public health orders when they come into force on Thursday afternoon.

The Newcastle, Lake Macquarie, Maitland, Port Stephens, Singleton, Dungog, Muswellbrook and Cessnock local government areas will be under stay-at-home orders for at least a week from 5pm, after it was revealed that the Coronavirus had spread to the Hunter.

NSW Police Northern Region commander Assistant Commissioner Peter McKenna said he was urging the Hunter to follow the example of Orange, in the state's Central West, which was put in lockdown last month but managed to come out of it in a week.

"Obviously it's a significant change for the people of this area but we all have to abide by this lockdown if we're going to make a difference and really keep this virus at bay," he said.

"The thing I will say is up until this point in time the people of this area, the Hunter Region, have really done the right thing.

"We have shown our resilience and we always do in times of crisis in this area, so once again I appeal to all the members of the public, the whole community - let's work together, let's abide by the public health orders and let's try to get out of this lockdown as quickly as we can."

A crisis management command post has been set up at Newcastle Police Station for police to liaise with government agencies.

Officers will be out performing compliance duties through the week, checking people are using QR codes and masks where necessary.

They will also be helping Transport for NSW and NSW Health officials with logistics at the region's busy testing sites.

Assistant Commissioner McKenna said there would be no grace period in play for people who breached the public health orders.

"Whilst this lockdown is new to the Hunter Region, I think no-one can say they aren't informed about COVID-19 and this Delta variant and what's been happening in Greater Sydney and across NSW," he said.

"There's no time for warnings now, we have to get across this."

Assistant Commissioner McKenna also urged people not to "panic buy" at supermarkets.

Video was emerging on social media on Thursday afternoon of physical altercations breaking out in the aisles of some stores along with vision of massive queues outside supermarkets.

"You don't need to panic buy or do anything like that because shopping is an essential reason [to leave home]," Assistant Commissioner McKenna said.

"So let's make sure we look after one another, we work together and we really keep this virus at bay."

Police were not called to the gathering at Blacksmiths beach on Friday night, which was mentioned in the government's press conference on Thursday morning and is being investigated by NSW Health contact tracers.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.