Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Michael Parris

No cases in Lower Hunter but omicron closes in

The Lower Hunter reported no new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday for the first time in three months as the threat of the new omicron variant reached the Central Coast.

Hunter New England Health reported just one new infection in the Hunter, in Scone, in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday, a welcome fall since cases peaked at 103 in mid-October.

Just four of the health district's 405 active cases are in hospital, including one in intensive care.

But NSW Health said in a statement that a Central Coast woman who was infected with the omicron variant had been to various venues in Wyong, Toukley, Wadalba, Ryde and Parramatta on Friday and Saturday before testing positive.

The vaccinated woman in her 30s had been infected with the strain while overseas.

NSW Health has listed a host of exposure sites associated with the case, including an Aldi supermarket at Toukley, Wyong KFC, Wadalba Woolworths, North Wyong IGA and various shops at Westfield Parramatta.

Confirmation of the woman's positive test brought the number of omicron cases in NSW to five.

"The traveller, who is fully vaccinated, arrived in Sydney on flight QR908 from Doha to Sydney on November 25 and travelled by private car to the Central Coast," NSW Health said.

"The traveller had been in southern Africa."

A second person on the flight is now in Broken Hill.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard told 7News the woman had arrived before the NSW government implemented new quarantine measures for overseas travellers.

Brad Hazzard

"This particular lady came in before the new arrangements, that is transferring to a health hotel, so she has been out in the community, and Health is now investigating that," Mr Hazzard said.

Latest data from the federal Department of Health shows Newcastle local government area has a double-dose vaccination rate of 92.3 per cent, up from 91.7 per cent a week ago.

The ratio of adults who have received one dose increased from 94.1 to 94.2 per cent in the week.

All other Hunter council area have double-dose rates above 95 per cent except Cessnock (94.2) and Muswellbrook (94.6).

The NSW rate is 92.5 per cent.

In the news

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.