The government has yet to formally discuss the possibility of lifting the ban on political activities as requested by political parties, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwon said yesterday.
Gen Prawit made the statement in response to news that two political parties -- the Pheu Thai Party and the Democrat Party -- have asked the government to remove the ban as soon as the organic law on political parties takes effect.
He said the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) just completed its top priority of organising the royal cremation ceremonies, which only ended on Sunday.
Despite the NCPO previously stating that the ban could be lifted by tomorrow, Gen Prawit said the NCPO has not yet had the time to hold a meeting to discuss the issue.
Just a day after the end of the historic royal cremation ceremonies, political matters made a quick return. The government and Gen Prawit himself were bombarded by questions on various issues, among them rumours of a cabinet reshuffle and the ban on political activities.
Gen Prawit said he was not aware of talks of any cabinet reshuffle, asking the media to instead ask Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha about it.
Wallop Tungkananurak, a member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), meanwhile said he thought it was about time the government relaxed the ban on political gatherings.
Since Gen Prayut announced the plan for the roadmap to the next general election expected in November next year, the parties have been looking forward to the ban being relaxed so that they can resume political activities, he said.
Senator Wallop said political parties should be given enough time to manage and proceed with their political activities. He said the ban should be lifted no later than early next year so that the lengthy procedure required by the new organic law on political parties can be followed.
He also urged that the last organic bill be submitted to the NLA no later than Nov 28, under a clear time frame specified for the NLA to pass all organic laws of the charter required before the new election can be held.
In response to accusations that some NLA members were attempting to derail the organic bills, Mr Wallop said he could assure that no one at the NLA has ever thought of doing such a thing.
The NLA has been under close scrutiny by the public, especially its deliberation of certain controversial draft laws advised by the government, said Mr Wallop. He said the NLA is aware any foot-dragging might lead to public frustration which may trigger mass protests against the regime.