Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Tribune
Chicago Tribune
National
Michelle Manchir and Carlos Sadovi

No bail for man charged in West Pullman fatal shooting

Feb. 01--A 27-year-old parolee was ordered held without bail Saturday after he was charged with killing one man and critically wounding a second earlier this week in the West Pullman neighborhood, officials said.

Christopher Cage, of the 300 block of West 109th Place, was charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder, Chicago police said in a statement late Friday.

Cage allegedly fatally shot a 24-year-old man in the head "execution-style" after getting into an argument with him after a dice game during a party at a house in the 11900 block of South Yale Avenue, according to Cook County Assistant State's Attorney Bob Groebner.

The man was identified as Mayron Collier, of the 10000 block of South Pulaski Road, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Cage then shot more than 10 rounds into a crowd at the house before shooting a 39-year-old man, Groebner said. That man was shot in the chest and taken to Advocate Christ Hospital, police said. Groebner said Saturday the man was on life support.

Witnesses flagged a police car near the scene Thursday, and Cage was arrested. Witnesses identified Cage as the shooter, and Cage gave a video recorded confession to the shootings, Groebner said.

In June, Cage was released from state prison on parole from a 2010 aggravated vehicular hijacking with a weapon conviction, according to records.

Cage's next court date is Feb. 2.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.