Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

No action against Wales FA chief over 'English' comment

Jonathan Ford, CEO of the Football Association of Wales gestures as he addresses a news conference after a meeting of the International Football Association Board (IFAB) at the the FIFA headquarters in Zurich March 1, 2014. Reuters/Arnd Wiegmann

(Reuters) - Welsh soccer's governing body (FAW) will not take action against chief executive Jonathan Ford for comments that ruled out an English candidate to replace Chris Coleman as manager of the national team.

The Football Association of Wales said it had reviewed the situation and accepted Ford's apology after he clarified the comments made in an interview earlier this month.

The FAW said in a statement on its website (www.faw.cymru) that Ford's comments were "taken out of context" and "not in the manner in which they were intended."

Ford had said in the interview that the FAW favoured Welsh people because "arguably the passion is there" before going on to add that the new coach would be "Welsh most definitely, foreign possibly, but definitely not English."

"The FAW and CEO will conduct a search for the new manager in an open and objective fashion, the appointee will be the best person for the role," the statement added.

Coleman sought a new challenge at struggling English Championship side Sunderland after failing to lead Wales to next year's World Cup in Russia.

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru Editing by Jeremy Gaunt.)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.