Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Sport
Andrew Greif

Nicolas Batum agrees to two-year deal with Clippers

Nicolas Batum was one of the Clippers’ last signings of free agency last year, a veteran forward whose production was impossible to predict coming off a career-worst season in Charlotte.

More than eight months later when NBA free agency opened Monday, the Clippers’ first agreement came with Batum, his bounce-back season made him one of the team’s top targets.

He has agreed to a two-year contract with a player option for the second year, confirmed a person with knowledge of the deal not authorized to speak publicly. Additionally, the person said, the team still has its $5.9-million taxpayer mid-level exception to use on another free agent. For a franchise with limited financial flexibility this offseason, keeping the exception open while re-signing Batum is a significant victory.

Just as last year, Batum had several suitors. Also just the same, Batum chose the Clippers in a sign he believes they remain his best fit. When the season ended in June, there was little secret he wanted to continue in L.A., where Batum thrived and became a linchpin of the Clippers’ first conference finals appearance.

“I can’t thank enough the Clippers organization for giving me a chance to be a basketball player again,” Batum said in July. “I wasn’t really sure what I could do this year, and they gave me a chance to be a player again. It’s a blessing for me.”

Batum averaged 8.1 points and 4.7 rebounds while shooting 57% inside the arc — 14 percentage points higher than the previous season — and 40% on three-pointers. His addition to the starting lineup during the third game of a first-round series against Dallas helped tilt the series in the Clippers’ favor, and his positional versatility was used widely by coach Tyronn Lue to help pull off numerous playoff adjustments.

Batum is the second Clipper from last season to return. Center Serge Ibaka exercised his option for next season on Saturday. The Clippers have been in contract talks with point guard Reggie Jackson, a vital piece during their unprecedented postseason run, according to a second person with knowledge of the situation. Team president Lawrence Frank said last week that the Clippers’ top priorities of free agency began with re-signing their own players.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.