Jan. 30--On November 5, when Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane was not charged at the conclusion of a sexual assault investigation he faced, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the league would conduct its own review of the case.
On Friday, Daly said the league's investigation of the August incident in Western New York was still "ongoing" almost three months since Erie County district attorney Frank Sedita III did not charge Kane.
"When (the investigation) is done we'll make an announcement," Daly said.
Daly did not elaborate beyond that. When asked what the league could be looking into, considering there were no charges against Kane in the case, Daly said: "We have to satisfy ourselves with the facts."
Throughout the criminal investigation, the league approved of the Hawks' handling of the case. Kane was not suspended and continued to play while he was under investigation. He is the lone Hawk participating in Sunday's All-Star Game in Nashville after fans voted him a captain for the game.
Earlier this month, Hawks President John McDonough said the team was happy for Kane -- who is a candidate for the league's MVP award -- and the season he was having but said the franchise did not feel any "vindication" when Kane was not charged in the matter.
"I wouldn't call it vindication," McDonough said on Jan. 15. "I'm just very happy for him. I'm glad he got off to such a great start and he's continued to do that and the focus staying on hockey. It tells you how committed he is. But no I don't think there's any sense of vindication at all, he's just reached another level of his career."
Both McDonough and general manager Stan Bowman have said Kane is in the team's long-term plans, despite reports over the summer that the team might seek to trade Kane.