INDIANAPOLIS _ The big news Wednesday regarding Nick Foles' future was what would not be happening with the veteran quarterback.
The Philadelphia Eagles announced they have decided against placing the franchise tag on Foles, allowing him to become a free agent after serving as the NFL's most celebrated backup the past two years.
"He deserves an opportunity to lead a team," said Howie Roseman, Philadelphia's executive vice president of football operations. "It's a goal of his to lead another team and lead another locker room."
The Eagles picked up Foles' $20 million option earlier this month, an option he then voided to initiate the process of becoming a free agent.
The team had the choice of placing the franchise tag on Foles and attempting to trade him. The decision to not do so suggests a market for Foles wasn't developing to Philadelphia's liking.
"It's hard when you have someone who's incredibly valuable to your organization at the most important position in sports," Roseman said. "And at the same time, we've had incredible success with him when he's had to play."
In 2017, Foles took over after starter Carson Wentz suffered a knee injury in Week 14 against the Rams. He led the Eagles to their first Super Bowl title and was named the game's MVP.
He remained the starter to open the 2018 season before Wentz fully recovered and returned.
After a back injury sidelined Wentz in December, Foles again took over and led Philadelphia back to the playoffs. The Eagles beat Chicago in the wild-card round and then lost to New Orleans.
Foles, 30, will become the highest-profile free-agent quarterback on the market in March. His potential suitors include Jacksonville, Miami and Washington.