Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Philip Dewey

Next shuts entire online operation after coronavirus fears

Clothing fashion chain Next has announced it will close its entire online operation due to fears staff may catch coronavirus.

The company, which has a number stores throughout Wales, said concerns had been expressed by staff members who were picking goods at stores in warehouses.

On Monday, the chain announced it would be closing all of its stores to the public due to the coronavirus pandemic.

On Wednesday, Next announced it would offer a 20% pay rise to any worker willing to pick items for customers online but on Thursday it was announced the whole online operation would close until further notice.

Coronavirus: The full list of shops that are allowed to stay open

In a statement released today, a spokesman said: "We have listened very carefully.

"It is clear that many increasingly feel they should be at home in the current climate.

"Next has therefore taken the difficult decision to temporarily close its Online, Warehousing and Distribution Operations from this evening, Thursday, March 26 2020.

"Next will not be taking any more online orders after this time until further notice."

(WalesOnline/Rob Browne)

The chain is among a number of companies who have decided to suspend their operations including McDonald's, Greggs and other well know high street outlets.

Supermarkets such as Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury's remain open having been considered by the Government as essential.

Despite the call from the Government for all non-essential businesses to cease operations, fashion outlets such as Boohoo and Asos continue to run an online service.

 
Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.