Arson suspect arrested in Pacific Palisades fire
LOS ANGELES — An arson investigation into the Pacific Palisades fire, which started late Friday, has led to the arrest of a suspect, authorities said Monday.
Two people were questioned Saturday night about the fire, which has forced the evacuation of about 1,000 residents. One person was released, and the other — a man who has not been identified — was arrested Sunday afternoon, Los Angeles Fire Department Chief Ralph Terrazas said at a briefing at Will Rogers State Beach.
“The person in custody, we feel we have the right person,” Terrazas said.
The man was being treated for minor smoke inhalation, authorities said. A source told The Times that the suspect is a person experiencing homelessness who set multiple fires in the area in a deliberate act of arson.
When asked at the briefing whether the suspect was homeless, Terrazas answered: “I don’t know.”
A Los Angeles Police Department helicopter pilot spotted the suspect setting fires on Friday, but investigators were unable to locate the man on the ground because of smoke and heavy brush, according to law enforcement and fire department officials.
The official span of the fire is still at 1,325 acres, but it was unclear whether the blaze had spread overnight because the morning cloud cover temporarily grounded helicopters from flying over the burn area, authorities said.
—Los Angeles Times
Former Minnesota police officer charged in Daunte Wright killing faces December trial
MINNEAPOLIS — The case against a former Brooklyn Center police officer charged with manslaughter in the killing of Daunte Wright will go to trial in December.
Hennepin County District Judge Regina Chu found there was probable cause to support the charge of second-degree manslaughter against former police Officer Kimberly Potter at a virtual court hearing Monday. A trial is scheduled for Dec. 6.
Defense attorney Earl Gray, who is representing Potter, did not contest the probable cause finding. Potter, wearing black, was seen on screen sitting behind him.
The Washington County Attorney's Office is prosecuting the case, and has faced pressure to upgrade the charge against Potter. Assistant Criminal Division Chief Imran Ali said in a statement that the office "remains committed to providing justice and accountability through our legal system for the killing of Daunte Wright."
"In order for the system to work, we must remain committed to justice and provide due process to the defendant as afforded to her by the law," the statement said. "While we wait for the case and the process to move forward, it is important for everyone to remain focused only on the facts related to details of this tragic case.""
Potter faces one charge of second-degree manslaughter in the April 11 shooting death of Wright, a 20-year-old Black man.
Potter, who is white, shot Wright shortly after he was pulled over for driving with expired license plate tags, according to police. The 26-year veteran of the Brooklyn Center Police Department was on the scene as a field training officer.
—Star Tribune
Pandemic book deal will pay Cuomo more than $5 million
ALBANY, N.Y. — Gov. Andrew Cuomo will make more than $5 million for his controversial pandemic-themed book on leadership during the COVID-19 crisis.
The embattled governor was paid $3.1 million as part of his book deal in 2020 and donated $500,000 of his earnings to the United Way and vaccination efforts, his office said. He paid $1.5 million in taxes and incurred $117,000 in expenses, according to federal tax filings made public Monday.
The remaining million made from the book last year, released in October as New York entered a second deadly wave of the pandemic, was put into a trust for his daughters, Cuomo’s office said.
The governor is set to receive an additional $2 million over the next two years — even as sales of the tome, titled “American Crisis: Leadership Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic,” have reportedly slowed.
Publisher Crown backed off on promoting the book earlier this year as the governor became embroiled in multiple scandals and several women accused him of sexual harassment.
For months, the Democratic governor refused to disclose how much he was paid to write the book amid reports that staffers and aides were enlisted to assist with the process.
The governor and other officials have repeatedly said that any work done on the book by anyone in the office was done on a volunteer basis.
—New York Daily News
Trump to headline NC Republicans’ state convention this summer
WASHINGTON – Former President Donald Trump is returning to North Carolina.
Trump, who carried the state in both of his presidential campaigns, will speak at the North Carolina Republican Party’s 2021 state convention in Greenville. Trump will speak June 5 at 6 p.m.
Trump, who lost the 2020 election, has not ruled out a third presidential bid in 2024.
“President Trump won North Carolina in 2016 by promising to put America First, and he won North Carolina in 2020 by keeping that promise,” NCGOP chairman Michael Whatley said in a statement. “President Trump delivered real results for North Carolina by rebuilding the military, standing strong against China, and unleashing the American Economy.”
“We are honored to welcome President Trump to our convention as the Republican Party launches our campaign to retake Congress and the Senate in the 2022 midterms.”
Trump made frequent stops in North Carolina as president and, especially, in the 2016 and 2020 campaigns.
The NCGOP state convention is June 3 through June 6 at the Greenville Convention Center. South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem, considered a potential 2024 candidate, is also speaking at the event.
Trump’s hold on the state party is strong. The group censured U.S. Sen. Richard Burr for his vote to convict Trump at his second impeachment trial in February.
—McClatchy Washington Bureau