Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Sage Swinton

Newcastle Show fun is in the bag this weekend

EXCITED: Bensons general manager Greg Andersen with a bunch of this season's showbags outside his shop at the showground. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

Newcastle Show organisers are expecting a possible record crowd this year, despite the limitations on visitor numbers due to COVID-19.

The show, which runs Friday to Sunday at Newcastle Showground, can have a capacity of 20,000 people a day with social distancing restrictions in place.

"We had 35,000 last year," Newcastle show spokesperson Shaun Woods said.

"We've sold more online tickets than ever before. I think people are really looking for connection and something fun after COVID."

"We're expecting very substantial numbers. It's going to be very busy this weekend."

The 2020 event was lucky to get in the weekend before the coronavirus shutdown last year, but the pandemic did impact this year's planning.

The daily crowd limit was initially set at 5,000 before being raised, reduced back to 5,000 again and finally lifted to 20,000.

"We're hoping to get some good karma with the weather because of the impact COVID had," Mr Woods said.

The event will also be the first show back for Bensons showbags since the pandemic, with Newcastle also being their last show in 2020.

To celebrate their return, Bensons general manager Greg Andersen said for the first time ever, Newcastle would be the first show to have every new release showbag, which usually happens at the Royal Easter in Sydney.

Mr Andersen also said this year every showbag available would be online, so people can choose ahead and avoid the crowd.

Mr Woods said that was a huge drawcard for the event.

"One of the most asked about questions online is 'what showbags will you have'," he said. "So that will be great."

Mr Woods said there will be also plenty of free events for all different interests.

"It does cost to get in, but we've tried to put in 50 free things to do," he said.

"We've got Mitch Revs doing a live mural, parkour, Australia's biggest eating competition and the Greater are giving away 6,000 free trees."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.