Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health

Newcastle say Saint-Maximin did not break quarantine rules

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Premier League - Southampton v Newcastle United - St Mary's Stadium, Southampton, Britain - November 6, 2020 Newcastle United's Allan Saint-Maximin during the warm up before the match Pool via REUTERS/Stu Forster

Newcastle United denied that French winger Allan Saint-Maximin breached COVID-19 quarantine regulations after he was pictured with a fan in a supermarket this week.

"Following a request from the media, Newcastle United can confirm that Saint-Maximin did not contravene any UK quarantine rules during a visit to a supermarket in Newcastle on Thursday evening," the club said in a statement.

"Allan will continue to adhere to all quarantine rules and COVID-19 guidelines and will follow return to training protocols.

"The club considers this matter closed and will not be issuing further comment."

Newcastle were the first Premier League side to be hit by a coronavirus outbreak earlier this season, leading to their training ground being shut down for 10 days.

Four Premier League matches have been postponed and more than 50 games in the lower divisions of the Football League called off. Newcastle boss Steve Bruce said it was "morally wrong" for English soccer to continue as cases continue to rise.

Saint-Maximin, who was among the Newcastle players to have contracted the virus, will miss Saturday's FA Cup game at Arsenal.

(Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru; Editing by William Mallard)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.