
Newcastle Netball Association plan to run a 10-week competition season, starting July 18 and including finals.
Following on from a memo issued by Netball NSW last week outlining the scenario for a restart of netball activities in July, the NNA executive met on Monday night to discuss options for the 2020 season.
Newcastle competition was scheduled to start on March 28 but was postponed, like most sport around the region and country, due to the coronavirus crisis.
Related content:
"With the announcement of a possible return to play of 18th July 2020 if social distancing and crowd congregation bans are lifted, NNA has implemented a restructured competition to ensure we can all get on the court," the executive told members through an announcement on social media Tuesday night.
The announcement included a new finish date of September 19. NNA president Cheryl Hernando told the Newcastle Herald what happened in those 10 weeks and how the competition will look is "dependent on many issues, especially around social distancing", but there would be a finals series and they had taken summer sports into consideration when setting a season end date.
"We've got three or four scenarios based on if social distancing is relaxed or if it's still there, but all we've said to the members if here is our new start and finish date and we'll go from there," Hernando said.
A further announcement on the season is expected no later than June 8.
Charlestown Netball Association are also planning a July 18 start, pending government advice, and have released competition dates to their members which include games on Mondays nights, a preliminary final on September 19 and grand final on September 26.
Maitland Netball Association put out a memo last week saying they were planning a return to competition "not prior to 11th of July" and its competition would be modified to be played across Saturdays and Sundays.
NSW public health orders have restrictions on gathering and movement in place until June 29.