Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Matt Carr

Newcastle COVID case isolating in Tuncurry, health clarifies

A YOUNG woman who has tested positive for COVID-19 is isolating in the Tuncurry area, Hunter New England Health has confirmed.

The woman, identified as a close contact, travelled from Newcastle to Tuncurry on August 5.

The region's lockdown, which has now been extended to at least a second week, began at 5pm that day.

The woman was tested that day and "COVID-19 was not detected".

"She subsequently tested positive for COVID-19 on a swab collected on 9 August," Hunter New England Health said in a statement.

Health authorities said police had approached the woman and her household contacts to ensure all isolation requirements had been met.

Her household contacts have been isolating since they were tested on August 9 and returned negative tests.

"Due to the individuals residential address, this case has been previously reported in the Newcastle LGA case numbers on the NSW Health website," the health authority said.

The clarification comes as the Hunter recorded 24 fresh cases on Thursday, taking its total to 77 before adjusting for the Tuncurry case.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.