Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Press Association

New Year's Eve tube strike called off

A strike planned by London Underground signal workers for New Year's Eve was today called off after a deal was reached during last-ditch talks.

Members of the Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) Union had been due to walk out at noon on December 31 and again on January 4 in a row over pay, hours and jobs. The action would have caused travel chaos for both millions of New Year revellers and commuters returning to work after the festive break.

However, the RMT today said it would recommend acceptance of the deal in a ballot of its 330 members. The union said the agreement had removed the threat of job losses, longer shifts and shorter rest breaks. The lowest grade signal worker will be paid £31,500, while the top grade will earn £44,000 under the terms of the deal.

"This is a fantastic deal, which puts our members at the top of the industry pay league in Britain," Bob Crow, the RMT general secretary, said.

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Christmas shoppers, holidaymakers and workers today suffered travel disruption because of a strike by tube drivers. Members of Aslef went ahead with a 24-hour walkout on the Piccadilly line - one of London's busiest lines - disrupting services in the capital, including those to Heathrow airport.

LU said a special service was running because of the action, which was triggered by the demotion of a driver who went through four red signals.

Union officials today warned the industrial action could escalate in the New Year because of complaints about the way Tube managers had dealt with the disciplinary case.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.