Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
World

New torture claims in Zimbabwe crackdown

Police stand guard in Harare as people arrested during the protests await a court appeal hearing on Friday (Picture: Philimon Bulawayo/Reuters)

Zimbabwe's leader today arrived home to face new allegations that his security services systematically tortured civilians amid anti-government protests.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa was forced to abandon a trip to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, to deal with the growing domestic crisis.

The Zimbabwe Human Rights Commission today claimed that security forces instigated systematic torture of residents. This followed reports that some were hunted down in their homes and severely beaten — denied by the police and army.

Amid growing international scrutiny of the unrest, President Mnangagwa promised an investigation and said “heads will roll” if required. He condemned violence by security services as a “betrayal” but also accused demonstrators, saying “everyone has the right to protest, but this was not a peaceful protest”.

Human rights activists claim a dozen people were killed after a week of protests following the president’s decision to more than double the price of fuel amid an economic crisis.

The government ordered an internet blackout as reports of abuses emerged. The High Court yesterday called the shutdown illegal and ordered that full service be restored.

The president said today: “One week ago, I announced measures to stabilise our nation’s crucial fuel supply. I was aware that these measures may not be popular, and this was not a decision we took lightly. But it was the right thing to do. What followed was regrettable and tragic. Everyone has the right to protest, but this was not a peaceful protest.

“Wanton violence and cynical destruction, looting police stations, stealing guns and uniforms, incitement and threats of violence. This is not the Zimbabwean way. Likewise, violence or misconduct by our security forces is unacceptable.”

Mr Mnangagwa’s government has blamed the unrest on the opposition Movement for Democratic Change. MDC leader Nelson Chamisa said many of the party’s members had been detained, including four MPs.

Zimbabweans have seen little or no improvement in the economy under Mr Mnangagwa, who took office in late 2017 after the ousting of Robert Mugabe.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.