Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Nick Tyrrell

New homes near Alder Hey approved despite protests

Major plans to redevelop an area around Alder Hey Children’s Hospital have been approved despite protests from neighbours.

Liverpool Council’s planning committee passed two applications on Tuesday that will see the hospital extended and homes, shops and other amenities built nearby.

The first part of the development will see an extension of a clinical accommodation block on the hospital site itself and expanded facilities there.

READ MORE: Homeless woman blows mum away after spotting little girl crying in McDonald's

The second will see a new development on land on nearby Springfield Gardens, with a series of office, commercial and residential housing blocks built.

The new development on Springfield Gardens will include four new blocks housing a range of facilities, including homes, a gym, a creche and retirement apartments.

A representative for Step Places, the applicant, said the plans “had been developed a scheme with extensive consultation” with the community and had “evolved” with commentary from ward councillors.

He said the new development would include a “public piazza” that would link the hospital, park and the nearby community.

A number of neighbours objected to the plans at the meeting this morning, including the West Derby Society’s Stephen Guy.

Mr Guy said the society objected to the development outside the hospital grounds, arguing it would create “privacy issues” and put pressure on “an already overburdened road network”.

Ward councillor Harry Doyle also spoke against the plans, saying the community around the hospital had been let down by previous promises from the trust that runs the hospital.

Councillor Doyle said parking was a serious issue in the area and that that issue would worsen if the plans were passed.

Despite the objections from neighbours and ward councillors, both plans were approved by the committee.

That came despite efforts from councillor Steve Radford to prevent the extension of the hospital, with fellow member Pat Moloney also voting to reject the application.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.