Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Sport
Ben Hayward

Nelson Semedo misses Barcelona training after breaching LaLiga protocol

Barcelona defender Nelson Semedo missed training on Thursday after breaching LaLiga's protocol for Covid-19 by attending a birthday party earlier this week.

The Portuguese right-back was pictured in a gathering on the beach at Castelldefels, just outside Barcelona, in images which were uploaded to social media and later removed.

With more than 20 people present, the soiree infringed LaLiga protocol and Semedo was not allowed to train with his team-mates on Thursday.

According to reports in the Catalan media, the 26-year-old has since tested negative for coronavirus and should be available for Saturday's LaLiga game away to Mallorca.

This latest incident follows the news last month that four Sevilla players breached protocol by attending a poolside party during the lockdown, while Real Madrid striker Luka Jovic was also in trouble for going out in Belgrade when he should have been at home.

LaLiga president Javier Tebas is unhappy at the rules being broken and said that measures could be taken if players continue to breach the protocol.

"If this continues, we could be obliged to look at something we weren't going to do, which is quarantining," he told international media in a video call on Thursday.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.