Neighbours in a north west street have been left gobsmacked when they came home to find their street had been resurfaced around their cars.
Workers had laid gravel down a few days earlier, with notices to remove all cars from the street having been removed, meaning people living in Brandram Road, Prestwich, thought it was fine to park their cars there again. But they were caught out when workers returned to put a sticky resin [liquid bitumen] on top of the gravel to hold it in place, avoiding the areas where cars were parked.
Alicia McIntosh said: “We left the cars for two days and we went away Friday afternoon and it was still under the road and we came back an hour ago to this. “To be fair it doesn’t bother me that much. The most annoying bit is treading the stones into the house.
READ MORE: 170 people arrested as police raids seen across Merseyside after week of violence
“I’ve seen it [tarmacking around cars] before around here. If they wanted us to move it we could’ve done that so they could do a proper job.”
Like Alicia, many of the residents had moved their cars when prompted to do so by the local council, but once the notices came down on Friday they brought them back onto the road as they thought the work was finished. Another resident described it as "strange" and "half-done".
She told the MEN : “There were notices on the posts for no parking, I think everyone parked with a car did move them. “They put the gravel/shail stuff down and then took the notices off so we all thought it was done.
"Then we came back and they had squirted this stuff on it. If it was all like that it would be great. It’s messy as well [the gravel] because it gets everywhere.

“It was a surprise because nobody knew this was going to happen. It was in the afternoon that it happened and I was out and I came back to it like that. The bit that is done looks good, if it was all like that it would be great. But it is not.”
Residents say the road was in need of repair and the resurfacing treatment was welcomed by the street. Now they remain hopeful that the workers will return to complete the job as there are other streets in the area undergoing the same treatment.
Stewart Lomas, 74, said. ““This was an afterthought. They finished early and they decided to do the last hour here I think. I was away for two hours and I came back to this. I thought I was in the clear because they put the signs down.
“I was worried about the clippings because it’s a contract car I have, when I saw this coating I saw it got rid of the clippings which is good. I am not complaining about that. I think they are going to come and finish it. I am hoping so."
Bury Council has been approached for comment.
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here
READ NEXT:
TUI makes request to anyone with a future holiday booking
Lidl, Tesco and Morrisons issue 'do not eat' warning for fish, fruit and more
Bizarre story of the village that never really existed
A Place in the Sun buyers stop Spanish property search to 'go home' to Liverpool
Coronation Street viewers 'work out' Kelly Neelan's sinister end as exit confirmed