Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Aaliyah Rugg

Neighbours 'absolutely exhausted' by 'loud' late night construction

Neighbours are "absolutely exhausted" as "loud" construction work keeps them up "all night".

Work previously began on the construction of a new station at Headbolt Lane in Kirkby as part of Metro Mayor Steve Rotheram's plan to deliver a London-style transport system for the city region. It is expected to open to the public in 2023.

But people say they are living with a "nightmare" as work continues through the night, meaning children are "going to school tired" and people are "tired getting up for work."

READ MORE: More strong hints that further government intervention coming to Liverpool

One woman, who did not wish to be named, told the ECHO that she has had to take some time off work because she has been getting "no sleep" due to the constant noise, which she says is ongoing from around 9.30pm until 6am.

She said: "From 9.30pm they have the machinery on, you can hear all the beeping, they are shouting and singing. Work doesn't seem to be getting done of a day.

"I ended up going there at 2.30am on Friday morning to have a word and told them it's getting beyond a joke, you've got kids going to school tired and people have got work and they said there's nothing they can do.

"On a weekend it's not so much of an issue because people tend to work during the week but I've had to take time off work because I'm that tired. I've put complaints in but they just say they've had permission but surely it's not right.

"It's a nightmare. People aren't sleeping. We understand if they were working on the railway lines and the work of a night was to stop any disruption to the trains but that's not the case. We are all absolutely exhausted.

"I'm not the only one complaining. There seems to be no consideration for the residents. This is a residential area. Why can't they work up until 10pm and then turn the machinery off. We understand if it was to avoid rail disruption then we would have to put up with it but this is beyond a joke."

These thoughts were echoed across the community as people were quick to jump to social media to express their concerns and frustration over the noise. One person said: "It's getting a joke now I've debated moving back to my mums or dad's with my kids for a bit but unfortunately wouldn't be able get them to school. I'm feeling the effects from lack of sleep with the noise."

Another echoed it was "not on at all" as "something has to be done." A third said they are left lying "wide awake".

A Network Rail spokesperson said: "We are sorry we have disturbed some residents. We have re-briefed our staff to try and minimise noise as we work to build a brand new station at Headbolt Lane. For safety reasons and to not disrupt passenger journeys during the day, major railway upgrades must take place at night.

"The good news is, these types of complex activities are only temporary. Once complete, this exciting £80m transport hub will offer step-free access, as well as 300 park and ride spaces, providing better access for residents to leisure and employment opportunities within the Liverpool City Region and beyond."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.