
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has revealed "intensive negotiations" to restore dialogue and the political process led by the UN envoy, Martin Griffiths, in hopes of alleviating the suffering of millions of Yemenis.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also said on Monday that Washington was closely monitoring the situation in Yemen, indicating that he had discussed the issue with Emirati leaders and “made clear our desire to address their security concerns while preserving the free flow of humanitarian aid and life-saving commercial imports."
He added that all parties must “fulfill their commitments to work with the Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations to Yemen in order to support the political process to resolve this conflict, ensure humanitarian access to the Yemeni people and map out a stable political future for Yemen."
His comments came as the UN chief said there are "intense negotiations" on Yemen and his envoy is involved in shuttle diplomacy between Sanaa, UAE, and Saudi Arabia hoping it will be possible to avoid the battle in Hodeidah.
"We are, at the present moment in intense consultation … I hope that it will be possible to avoid a battle for Hodeida," Guterres said.
At the request of Britain, the UN Security Council held consultations on Yemen, focusing on the possibility of an impending attack on Hodeidah, a diplomat told Asharq Al-Awsat.
The diplomat reported that the attendees heard a televised statement by Griffiths from Jordan and a statement from Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator Mark Lowcock.
Lowcock told reporters that he and Griffiths briefed the Council on the current situation in Yemen, especially around Hodeidah.
“The focus of the discussion has essentially been about how we prevent a battle for Hodeidah. We explained why Hodeidah matters for the whole of the humanitarian operation,” he added.
Lowcock informed the reporters that dozens of UN staff are still in Hodeidah.
"We are working with very large numbers of Yemeni organizations and individuals through whom we are reaching 7 million people a month, still, with food assistance - and a larger number than that with other forms of assistance," he indicated.
Lowcock explained that he asked the Council’s help in three things.
The first is to ensure that all stakeholders work together to ensure that Hodeida and Saleef ports remain open and operational without interruption so that continued humanitarian relief and adequate levels of essential commercial imports can be ensured.
"Secondly, we would like the Council's help to ensure that all parties to the conflict, including all affiliated forces, meet their obligations to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure, taking active steps to respect the fundamental rules of distinction, proportionality and precautions," he went on to say.
“Thirdly, we would like the Council's help in ensuring that not just Martin Griffiths' current efforts, but also that everybody engages in a positive, productive and serious way with his wider plan, which he will be briefing the Council on next week to move forward with the peace process in Yemen.”
According to a diplomat, Griffiths urged the Council to issue a statement on the situation. He expressed concern that the attack on Hodeidah would disrupt his mediation efforts.
Griffiths visited Sanaa last week where he discussed with a number of Houthi leaders the resumption of negotiations and ways to avoid the attack on Hodeidah.
In his briefing at the meeting, Lowcock warned that the attack on the city, which has a population of 600,000, could lead to heavy civilian casualties.
He stressed that Hodeidah is the single most important entry point for food and basic resources necessary to prevent famine and the recurrence of cholera.
A diplomat stated that some members discussed about Hodeidah as the biggest port in Yemen, adding that even before the war, Yemen imported 90 percent of its basic food needs, almost all medicines and fuel through this port.
"No alternative routes, whether through Aden or other ports or land crossings, can compensate for the loss of access through Hodeidah. It is estimated that more than 22 million people, or three quarters of Yemen's population, need humanitarian assistance," he concluded.
Griffiths is scheduled to brief members of the Council on June 18 on a political framework for the resumption of negotiations.