Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
Sport
Mark Potash

Nagy vows to run the ball vs. Chargers

Rare photo of a Bears running back carrying the ball — rookie David Montgomery struggles for yardage and fumbled on this four-yard gain. Montgomery had two carries for six yards as the Bears rushed a franchise-low seven times for 17 yards in a 36-25 loss at Soldier Field. | David Banks/Getty Images

The worse-kept secret at Halas Hall this week is that the Bears are going to run the ball against the Chargers on Sunday after a franchise-low seven carries punctuated a 36-25 loss to the Saints last week.

As coach Matt Nagy said in a sound-bite and quote that will live forever, “I know we need to run the ball more. I’m not an idiot.”

Of course, the Chargers know the Bears are going to run more — maybe even a lot more after the criticism Nagy faced in the aftermath of the Saints game. So the question was posed to Nagy on Friday: Does knowing the Chargers likely are expecting a heavy dose of running plays alter Nagy’s approach?

“It’s hard for me to answer that question because we’re coming off a seven-attempt game, so we’re definitely going to run the ball more than seven times,” Nagy said. “But you could look at it the other way and maybe think [the Chargers are expecting it] and now we’re just going to throw it — and maybe we’re going to do that. I mean, who knows?

“Maybe we’re going to run it eight times, not seven. At least there’s steady incremental improvement. Would you agree with that?”

Nagy smiled and chuckled as he said that. He has been steady and if anything even more open this week in acknowledging his team’s and his own shortcomings in response to a full week of critical questions following a second consecutive loss. So regardless of what the Chargers do, the Bears are going to try to establish a run game. And the increase will be more than incremental.

“We’re not going to run the ball eight times — don’t worry,” Nagy said.

NOTE: Safety and special teams ace Sherrick McManis, who suffered a concussion against the Saints, had full participation in practice Friday and is full-go to play Sunday against the Chargers.

In fact, the Bears have a virtually clean injury report — a rarity eight weeks into the season. Defensive lineman Bilal Nichols (knee), who is questionable after being limited in practice Friday, is the only player on it.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.