Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Entertainment
Ekin Karasin

Naga Munchetty 'allowed to remain on BBC Breakfast under strict conditions' amid bullying probe

Naga Munchetty has reportedly been allowed to stay at BBC Breakfast under strict rules amid a formal investigation.

The presenter, 50, was placed under review in August following complaints of bullying over a three-year period.

She was accused of “bullying” a female colleague last year and making a “wildly unprofessional” off-air sex joke that left a co-worker “humiliated” in 2022.

Last week, BBC bosses reportedly escalated the review into an official probe after more complaints were made.

It has now been claimed the broadcaster has assigned watchdogs to keep a close eye on Munchetty in the studios while the probe takes place.

A source told The Sun: “Naga has not been taken off air but now has certain members of production monitoring her and her interactions.”

Naga with co-host Charlie Stayt (BBC Breakfast)

The insider added: “She's only allowed to speak to specific people too.

“It's far from ideal as a way of working and everyone hopes it comes to a head someway or another soon.”

The Standard has contacted Munchetty’s representative for comment. A BBC spokesperson said: “We do not comment on individual HR matters.”

Last week it was claimed Munchetty’s job could be particularly vulnerable after Deborah Turness, the Head of News, quit over the edit of a Donald Trump speech.

Munchetty was reportedly among the “talent” who were said to have been “protected” by Turness.

The presenter is no longer represented by agents M&C Saatchi and her new agents have reportedly “held talks with rival station LBC” to explore other opportunities.

Munchetty’s co-host Charlie Stayt also remains “under review,” according to the publication.

She presents BBC Breakfast alongside Stayt every Thursday to Saturday, having joined the flagship show in 2014.

The presenter is ‘under review’ (PA Archive)

Munchetty has been accused of being “hard” and “bullying” her coworkers and came under fire for two alleged incidents over a three-year period, according to a number of sources.

In 2022, she is said to have used a crude word for a sex act and asked a colleague if they had done it.

Although the exact comment hasn’t been reported, one source told The Sun it was, “crass, inappropriate and wildly unprofessional. The person felt embarrassed”.

Munchetty was also accused of bullying a woman last year, with The Sun claiming she allegedly accused a younger staffer of stealing, without presenting evidence.

The source told The Sun: “It was humiliating. There was no evidence, no apology. The woman left not long after, completely demoralised”.

The broadcaster also reportedly went “ballistic” at an intern who got her breakfast order wrong.

An insider told the Mail: “She has a reputation for going at young members of staff and making them out to be fools.

“She would kick off about the smallest of issues, including one time she went ballistic over her breakfast not being prepared exactly how she likes it by an intern.”

Meanwhile, Richard Frediani, editor of BBC Breakfast has been cleared of bullying and inappropriate conduct and will not be subject to a thorough investigation after PWC was hired as a consultant to examine the work culture on the show.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.