Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading

NAB branches to reopen after 'hoax' threat

The NAB will reopen its branches across the country after an apparent bomb threat was ruled a hoax. (AAP)

National Australia Bank will reopen its doors on Thursday after a hoax bomb threat forced it to close hundreds of branches across the country.

The NAB evacuated and shut all of its branches, business banking centres and commercial sites across the country on Wednesday over a "physical security threat".

However, later in the day the bank confirmed it had been a hoax.

"The latest advice from state and federal police is that the threat is not credible and has been deemed a hoax," NAB said in a statement on Wednesday evening.

"As a result, we are pleased to advise that it is now safe to return to all NAB locations from tomorrow morning."

AAP understands it was a bomb threat, although neither NAB, the Australian Federal Police or Queensland Police would confirm.

The lender has more than 600 branches across Australia and acknowledged the disruption had been an inconvenience for customers and staff.

But NAB made no apology for the shutdown.

"Their safety and security is our absolute priority and that is why we took the action we did," it said.

"We did so with the information that we had at the time."

NAB's digital banking services were unaffected by the mass nationwide closure of bricks and mortar sites.

In a statement, the AFP urged the public to contact police if they receive a bomb threat.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.