Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Japan News/Yomiuri
The Japan News/Yomiuri
Politics
The Yomiuri Shimbun

N. Korea releases detained Japanese man

A Japanese man recently detained by North Korean authorities was released and arrived in Beijing by air Tuesday morning, a senior Japanese government official said.

The man returned to Japan the same day.

The government is planning to interview the man, who is said to be in good health, regarding the details of his detention.

The man is said to have been detained in Nampo, North Korea, on Aug. 10 while sightseeing in the country.

Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency reported Sunday the country's decision to expel the man, who had been held for violating a North Korean law, on the principle of humanitarianism.

According to KCNA, his name is Tomoyuki Sugimoto. The agency's Japanese language website carried his name in kanji characters.

At a press conference Monday, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said only, "We're putting all our efforts [toward the man's release] but I'd like to decline to comment [on the negotiation process and other details] due to the nature of the case."

The government will carefully analyze North Korea's intentions in deciding to deport the man.

Negotiations between North Korea and the United States over Pyongyang's denuclearization have stalled, and U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's visit to the country has been cancelled.

A source close to the Foreign Ministry even said that North Korea may be attempting to disrupt cooperation between Japan and the United States by showing a conciliatory attitude toward Japan.

Read more from The Japan News at https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.