SEOUL -- The North Korean Olympic Committee had decided not to participate in this summer's Tokyo Olympics, citing concerns over the coronavirus, the country's sports ministry announced on Monday.
According to a statement posted on the ministry's website, the North Korean Olympic Committee convened a meeting via videoconference in Pyongyang on March 25, where it decided not to participate in the 32nd Olympiad, in the interest of "protecting its athletes from the global public health crisis caused by the malignant virus."
The Korean Central News Agency had previously reported that the general meeting had been held, but these earlier reports did not mention Tokyo Games.
The South Korean Unification Ministry expressed disappointment with the North's decision in a statement released on Tuesday, saying they had hoped the Games would offer an opportunity to promote the reconciliation and cooperation of the two Koreas toward peace on the peninsula.
Japan cabinet chief: 'we'll keep an eye on it'
The Yomiuri Shimbun
In response to North Korea's announcement, Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato said Tuesday that Japan would continue monitoring the situation closely.
"The North Koreans must now coordinate with the International Olympic Committee and the Tokyo organizing committee," Kato told reporters. "We'll keep an eye on it."
Kato added that the government is committed to preventing transmission of the virus and creating "an environment that is ready to welcome participants from a great many countries and regions."
Tamayo Marukawa, minister for the Tokyo Games, said, "We're in the process of confirming the details."
Read more from The Japan News at https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/