Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Times of India
The Times of India
National
Narayan Namboodiri | TNN

Mumbai: Hoax call at US consulate triggers 12-hour combing operation

MUMBAI: Over 80 police personnel conducted a 12-hour combing operation at the US consulate premises in Bandra-Kurla Complex (BKC) that lasted till Wednesday afternoon following a call about a security lapse. However, nothing suspicious was found. Mumbai police spokesperson, DCP S Chaitanya, later said it was a hoax call.

The caller has been tracked to Ernakulam in Kerala. The man, whose identity was not disclosed by police, has been booked for criminal intimidation.

Police said a security officer received the call, which lasted for hardly a minute, around 11.34 pm on Tuesday. “We have asked for the voice record to verify the exact communication. Prima facie, the caller said there is a security lapse in the consulate. He also said security personnel do nothing except ‘come to eat and collect salary’,” said an officer at BKC police station. The consulate has been asked to verify if the caller’s visa application had been rejected in the past few months. The ATS, Crime Branch, special branch, Bomb Disposal & Detection Squad, SRPF, BKC police and reserve police were pressed into action.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.