Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Times of India
The Times of India
National
Rosy Sequeira | TNN

Mumbai: Ex-MNS MLA gets pre-arrest bail in molestation case

MUMBAI: The Bombay high court has granted pre-arrest bail to a former MNS MLA from Vikhroli charged with molesting a teenager in 2019.

Justice Prakash Naik allowed Mangesh Sangle’s plea in respect of an FIR filed with Rabale police station under Indian Penal Code sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 354 A (sexual harassment) on March 16, 2019.

Sangle’s application said the parents of the complainant (then 19) frequently quarrelled and he intervened on several occasions. The father, who he claimed is an active member of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), finally stayed separately with his daughter and filed the FIR through her with mala fide intentions.

According to the FIR, around 3.10am on October 16, 2018, Sangle had been to the complainant’s house after her parents fought. He had insisted she come to another room to discuss the matter and tried to molest her. Thereafter he sent messages of apology and asked her not to inform anybody about the incident. As the complainant was busy with studies and college activities, she lodged the complaint on March 16, 2019.

Pointing out that the FIR came five months after the incident, Sangle, now a BJP member, claimed it was an afterthought and a bid to implicate him and tarnish his image. Sangle’s advocates Rohan Hogle and Anshul Sontakke said he has cooperated with the investigation and chargesheet has been filed.

In his August 12 order, Justice Naik took note that Sangle was granted interim protection by HC on May 6, 2019. “The cellphone of the applicant which was purportedly used in the offence is seized. Charge sheet is filed against the applicant. In these circumstances, custodial interrogation of the applicant is not necessary,’’ he added. If arrested, Sangle will be released on a personal bond of Rs 25,000 with one or more sureties.

(The victim's identity has not been revealed to protect her privacy as per Supreme Court directives on cases related to sexual assault)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.