Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Echo
National
Charlotte Hadfield

Mum left at 'wits end' with disgusting damp ridden bathroom with collapsed wall

A mum told how she is at her "wits end" by the "disgusting" condition her bathroom has been left in.

Nichola Base has lived in her home in Ellesmere Port, which is managed by ForHousing, for the last 18 years.

But since workers were sent out to fit a new bathroom suite in January last year, the 46-year-old said she has experienced countless problems which still remain unsolved.

Nichola said the problems are so bad a wall has partially collapsed, the floorboards are crumbling and the room "stinks of damp."

A spokesperson for ForHousing said the work, which was planned to be completed in March last year, was put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

When the work was due to resume in September, ForHousing claim Nichola denied them access to her property, however, Nichola said she did this on the advice of a solicitor following a conversation with a member of staff at ForHousing about the scale of the work needed.

Nichola said she is at her "wits end" with the problems (Nichola Base)

Nichola told the ECHO: "When they took the bath out the whole wall collapsed.

"It's collapsed on the side of the bath, it's absolutely horrendous.

"Our bath is loose now and the back floor boards have crumbled.

"It stinks of damp. It's absolutely awful. It's embarrassing. Even my son moved out - he said 'I can't live here mum the bathroom is absolutely disgusting.'"

Nichola said the bathroom "stinks of damp" and is covered in mould (Nichola Base)

Nichola said after seeking advice from her solicitor, a surveyor was sent to assess the problems in her bathroom on March 18.

However, she claims her solicitor is still waiting to receive a report back from the surveyor with their findings before the work can start.

A spokesperson from ForHousing said they are in the process of agreeing a date to complete the work required this month.

Nichola said: "I've been there 18 years but I've never dealt with this ever.

"I work full time I need to know what's going on. It's just the fact that I've been left like that.

"I just think it's absolutely shocking the way we get treated and fobbed off."

Janet Lawton, Contract Management Lead at ForHousing, said: “In March 2020 ForHousing planned to complete work on Ms Base’s bathroom.

"Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, government guidance at the time meant we were unable to carry out the work until lockdown restrictions were lifted. We understand her frustrations around these delays.

“We visited Ms Base’s home a number of times in September 2020 to attempt to restart the work, but were refused access to the property. In March this year a surveyor visited the home to inspect the work required and produced a schedule of work required.

“We are pleased to confirm that we are in the process of agreeing a date to complete the work required this month, and will ensure this is done to the satisfaction of Ms Base.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.