Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Lifestyle
Ellis Whitehouse & Hannah Mackenzie Wood

Mum and son, 4, 'lose everything' after home is destroyed in devastating blaze

A mum and her young child have been left with nothing after escaping a devastating blaze that ravaged their home.

Lidia Cotton and her four-year-old son Harrison had their world come crashing down after an electrical fire destroyed their flat in Linel Oxley House, Grays whilst they slept.

The 25-year-old awoke to find their home filled with smoke after the inferno began on October 26, according to Essex Live.

Luckily, the pair managed to escape, suffering only minor smoke inhalation.

However, they have been left with no home or belongings, with everything they owned damaged beyond repair.

Julia Cotton, Lidia's mother, has now launched a desperate bid for donations from anyone who can support the family.

The fire in Grays is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. (Essex Live)

She said: "We are really confused at the moment, it's just horrendous.

"They couldn't even see their way out because of the smoke.

"They suffered some smoke inhalation, and went to hospital and got the all-clear, and have come home. But now it's the trauma.

"He keeps saying 'mum my castle's on fire, my toys are all burnt', he's having nightmares in the night. My daughter can't sleep properly."

Ms Cotton said Thurrock Borough Council have put Lidia and her son into temporary accommodation but she claims they now want them to move into a different flat in the same block.

However, when going back to the block Lidia has been suffering from panic attacks due to the trauma of the fire, and has been given a letter by her doctor about her condition.

Ms Cotton said: "They don't seem to care about the doctor's letter, if she refuses she's made herself homeless.

"They lost everything, they have got nothing.

The burnt out windows and sofa inside the flat (Essex Live)

"People have been really kind, it's the people you least expect. What they had on their backs was what they had. Everyone is running around trying to support them.

"That's why I started the Go Fund me page, being a single mum, it's hard to survive this world.

"She's been a full-time mum - she had just got herself a little job part-time in a nursery, but she can't do that at the moment, she's had to put it on hold.

"She wanted to earn some money for Christmas for her son and help do her flat up, and now this happens. It's been a nightmare to be honest."

Lidia and Harrison's cat also managed to escape the fire and is currently being looked after by a neighbour.

The fundraising page is hoping to raise £3,000, and has so far raised more than £400.

Ms Cotton added: She went back to give it [the cat] food and had this massive panic attack.

"The money is just for basics like beds, everything you need to live."

Thurrock Borough Council was contacted but did not respond to requests for comment in time for publication.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.