Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport
Alan Baldwin

Motor racing-Mick Schumacher picks up tips from Raikkonen

Formula One F1 - Bahrain Grand Prix - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain - March 25, 2021 Haas' Mick Schumacher during the press conference FIA/Handout via REUTERS

Mick Schumacher has been getting some tips from Kimi Raikkonen, the man who took over from father Michael at Ferrari, as he prepares for his Formula One race debut in Sunday's Bahrain season-opener.

The 22-year-old German, who won last year's Formula Two title and will be lining up for the Haas team, told reporters it was funny to think some drivers will have raced against two generations of his family.

Raikkonen, now 41 and at Alfa Romeo, made his debut 20 years ago with Sauber and replaced seven-times world champion Michael at Ferrari at the end of 2006.

The Finn remains Ferrari's most recent world champion after winning the title in 2007.

Spaniard Fernando Alonso, the two-times champion who ended Schumacher's run of five successive titles with his first in 2005, is returning with Renault-owned Alpine at the age of 39.

Lewis Hamilton, who equalled Schumacher's record seven titles last year, took the German's place at Mercedes at the end of 2012 when the great finally retired.

"It's going to be nice to see how things are going to turn out on track," said Mick. "I haven't driven with many of them in the test because I was mostly with some other guys.

"I was driving with Kimi and I know Kimi quite well, let's say, from the track. He's always very nice, and its very nice talking to him and getting obviously some info and tips here and there."

Michael Schumacher has not been seen in public since he suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident in France in 2013.

Mick shut down a question about how his father, who made his F1 debut 30 years ago, might feel about his son's first race.

"I guess that's kind of a very private question and not a question for me to answer in a way," he said, adding that he had no family members with him in Bahrain.

"I've got my group around me, my people around me, and I'm sure we'll take on that task of going into my first F1 race," he added.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin in London, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.