Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business
Alan Baldwin

Motor racing-F1 kills off reverse grid plan, still considering sprint races

FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, Britain - August 9, 2020 Cars on the grid before the warm up lap Pool via REUTERS/Bryn Lennon/File Photo

Formula One has given up on the idea of holding reverse-grid races in place of qualifying at some grand prix weekends but is still considering a Saturday sprint format, according to new head Stefano Domenicali.

The concept previously suggested would have seen drivers line up in reverse championship order for a sprint race to decide the starting grid for Sunday's main event.

A revised format now under discussion would not feature the reverse-grid element that was opposed last year by teams including reigning champions Mercedes.

"Reverse grid is over. That’s something I can tell you," Domenicali told reporters.

"What we are looking at...(is) what could be the approach of the so-called sprint race on Saturday. We are thinking if this could be tested already this year," he added.

"Discussions are going on with the teams in the right forum. I think that maybe this could be the only one thing that could be interesting."

The initial proposal was made last year because some circuits were hosting two races on successive weekends, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with the risk of the second becoming a boring repeat of the first.

Unanimous support for such change is no longer required but Domenicali said there would be no attempt to force anything through.

The Italian, a former Ferrari team principal, added that the sport did not want to lose its traditions or go back to a period when qualifying formats were constantly changing and alienating fans.

Formula One's motorsport managing director Ross Brawn last month told the racefans.net website that he would like to see some weekends follow a different format to gauge responses without committing the whole championship to change.

"That would be a sensible way to move forward, and find new avenues that would appeal to the fans and, and perhaps appeal to new fans. We don’t want to alienate our existing fans," he explained.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.