Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Business
Abhishek Takle

Motor racing - F1 has set a May date for engine rules, says Arrivabene

Formula One F1 - Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne, Australia - March 23, 2018 Ferrari Team Principal Maurizio Arrivabene during the press conference REUTERS/Brandon Malone

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Formula One's commercial rights holders want a decision on post-2020 engine regulations to be decided by the end of May, Ferrari team-principal Maurizio Arrivabene told reporters on Friday.

Liberty Media, who took over Formula One in January last year, made a presentation to the teams and governing FIA in Bahrain last week.

A subsequent press release expressed only in broad terms what they are aiming for once existing commercial agreements expire at the end of 2020, and Formula One management has remained tight-lipped on the detail.

Engines are central to any overhaul with Liberty's proposals calling for them to be cheaper, simpler, louder, more powerful, relevant and hybrid in the hopes of attracting new manufacturers.

"They give us a deadline for the end of May, I think," Arrivabene said at the Chinese Grand Prix. "I hope that this deadline is going to be respected.

"It's a bit early somehow, but it's far... from another point of view, a technical point of view, concerning the engine."

The Italian's remarks were the first public comments by a Ferrari representative on the proposals, which also called for a cost-cap and fairer distribution of prize money.

The Maranello-based team, the sport's oldest and most successful, enjoy special financial privileges and a veto on rules.

They have warned repeatedly that they could walk away if they did not like what was on offer.

Arrivabene said Ferrari and fellow engine manufacturers Mercedes, Renault and Honda had written to Liberty a month ago laying out their position on future power unit rules.

He would not be drawn into giving Ferrari's opinion on the proposals.

"I have to point out that it's not difficult to make a comment," said Arrivabene. "It's simply not my job. It's the responsibility of my chairman (Sergio Marchionne)."

Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley hoped much of the work would be done this year.

"Perhaps the financials will take a bit longer but I would have thought that the engine regulations would have to be out reasonably quickly," he said.

"I would have thought that early next year, this time, we should be looking at chassis regs and anything else that's surrounding that; cost controls, or whatever, should be in place as well."

(Editing by Alan Baldwin)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.