Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Birmingham Post
Birmingham Post
Business
Graeme Whitfield

Morrisons rejects £5.5bn takeover offer for 'undervaluing' company

Supermarket chain Morrisons has rejected a £5.5bn takeover bid from a private equity firm, saying it would have “significantly undervalued” the company.

Clayton, Dubilier & Rice (CD&R) earlier said it noted the press speculation regarding a potential transaction involving Morrisons and confirmed that it was “considering a possible cash offer”.

CD&R, which has until July 17 to announce a firm intention to make an offer under UK takeover rules, added in a statement that there can be “no certainty an offer will be made”.

Bradford-based Morrisons said it rejected a conditional cash offer from CD&R of 230 pence per share – which amounts to just over £5.5bn.

In a statement, the supermarket chain said: “The board of Morrisons evaluated the conditional proposal together with its financial adviser, Rothschild & Co, and unanimously concluded that the conditional proposal significantly undervalued Morrisons and its future prospects.

“Accordingly, the board rejected the conditional proposal on 17 June 2021.”

Last month, Morrisons said sales in the 14 weeks to May 9 grew 2.7% on a like-for-like basis, excluding fuel, including a 113% jump in online sales.

But before the easing of lockdown, the supermarket said it had to spend an extra £27m in Covid-19 costs during the past three months to cover for staff absences and store marshals.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.