CHICAGO _ Violence in Chicago over the weekend dropped sharply from a week before, but there were still 32 people shot in the city, six of them fatally, including a 16-year-old boy.
The previous weekend, at least 63 people were shot and eight of them were killed, according to police. It was the most violent weekend of the year except for the long Fourth of July holiday.
So far this year, at least 2,498 people have been shot in Chicago. That's down from 2,821 this time last year, when violence hit levels not seen in two decades. There have been at least 462 homicides this year, 29 fewer than this time last year.
The youngest victim from this past weekend's violence was 16-year-old Theotis Luckett, who was shot in the back just before 3:50 a.m. Saturday in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on the West Side, police said.
Luckett was one of three people killed and at least eight other people wounded in the city during a nine-hour period from late Friday to early Saturday, according to police. The two other homicides were a 31-year-old man killed in the Washington Park neighborhood on the South Side and a 35-year-old fatally shot in the Englewood neighborhood, police said.
From Saturday to Sunday morning, two men were killed. Gerard Mayo, 35, was fatally shot in the West Woodlawn neighborhood and Brandon Cathey, 24, was slain in the Englewood neighborhood.
Late Sunday, Arthur Sanchez, 51, was killed in a shooting about 8:55 p.m. in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood.