Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
National
Claire Miller & Joseph Locker

More than 30 people prosecuted for begging last year - down by almost half from 2017

The number of people prosecuted for begging across Nottinghamshire dropped by almost half last year.

Prosecution for begging decreased despite the number of rough sleepers hitting a record high of 55 people per night on average in April.

In 2017, 76 people were prosecuted under the Vagrancy Act 1824, which makes it a criminal offence to bed down on the streets or beg.

However, in 2018 there were just 39, bucking a national trend.

The numbers were down in the face of a six percent increase in prosecutions under the Act across England and Wales, as Nottingham City Council and police force set about using agencies such as Framework's outreach team to get people off the streets before putting them in the hands of the law.

Nottinghamshire Police said its officers only use prosecution as a "last resort for persistent begging".

Anwaar Ahmed, inspector for community protection, said officers would always work with partner agencies to help engage rough sleepers and beggars with the relevant support services.

Inspector Ahmed added: "We only use prosecutions as a last resort for persistent begging. In the first instance we would always work with partner agencies to engage them in support services to break out of the chaotic lifestyle.

"But in some cases, where people consistently refuse to engage with the support, we are eventually left with no other option but prosecute."

A total of 34 prosecutions were for begging, however there were five for "being in enclosed premises for an unlawful purpose".

Homelessness charity Crisis launched a report on June 19 outlining the need to scrap the law which was originally brought in to allow the police to clear the streets of homeless soldiers from the Napoleonic Wars.

Its chief executive, Jon Sparkes, said: "The continued practice of criminalising homeless people under the Act is a disgrace."

However, portfolio holder for planning and housing, councillor Linda Woodings, emphasised how Crisis is "conflating and confusing" genuine homeless people with beggars who have been housed.

She said: "We have a wide range of support in place to help rough sleepers into accommodation and to help them with other issues they are facing in their lives.

"However, it’s the case that not many homeless people beg and that not all beggars are homeless. It’s unfortunate that Crisis are conflating and confusing the two issues.

"Where we have people who are not homeless aggressively asking passers-by for money, which is an issue that residents repeatedly tell us they are concerned about, then it’s appropriate for that to be dealt with robustly and through the courts if necessary."

Laws such as the Anti-social Behaviour Act of 2014 have been suggested as a better way to address aggressive begging, as Crisis argues the Vagrancy Act is "not the most effective tool" in reducing numbers on the streets.

Across England and Wales, 1,326 people were prosecuted last year under the Act, an increase of six percent on 2017, but down overall from five years ago.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.