
CHIBA -- A growing number of stores in Chiba Prefecture are introducing drive-through to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus.
The move is aimed at avoiding crowding in shops and long lines at registers, thus reducing the risk of becoming infected through contact among shoppers.
A vegetable and fruit wholesaler based in Tokyo started offering drive-through in Noda, Chiba Prefecture.

"You can stay in the car. I will put these in the trunk," a Food Supply staff member said as he carefully loaded a box of produce earlier this month.
Food Supply started the service at its warehouses in Noda and Tokyo after the government declared a state of emergency for seven prefectures on April 7, including the capital and Chiba Prefecture. In Noda, the wholesaler offers the service three days a week -- Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
The lone item it sells is a boxed assortment of more than 20 kinds of seasonal vegetables and 5 kilograms of rice for 5,000 yen. After receiving an order from the driver's side window, it takes only about 20 seconds to load the box into the car.
With more than 1,000 boxes selling each day, the service has been very popular with customers because of the speed and the social distancing.
"It's convenient for us and it's a good idea," said a 70-year-old customer from Noda.
The Chiba prefectural government is calling on citizens to avoid poorly ventilated enclosed areas, crowds and conversations at close range. While asking recreational facilities and some other businesses to close from April 14, the prefectural government urges shops that provide daily necessities -- such as supermarkets and pharmacies -- not to have closed-off spaces or crowds.
"Although government requests to refrain from nonurgent, nonessential outings have caused an overall drop in sales, we want to make the best decisions going forward," said Kazuya Sawada, managing director of Food Supply.
Family-run stores are also taking a similar approach.
Koshikawa Shoten, a fish shop in Asahi, Chiba Prefecture, started accepting drive-up orders for sashimi from mid-March. Cars form lines on weekends.
Hideko Koshikawa, 70, who runs the shop with her husband, came up with the idea to take advantage of the location along the street.
"I hope this outbreak will end soon so we can greet customers with a smile," she said.
Meanwhile, Chibayaku Groceries, Inc., an operator of a drugstore chain, had previously introduced drive-through at 29 shops, mainly in Chiba Prefecture. The number of customers using the system is increasing, as more than half the customers have opted for drive-up prescriptions since last month.
"Even while refraining from going out, I have to pick up my medicine regularly," said a 60-year-old man who used one of the drugstores in Inzai, Chiba Prefecture, on Friday. "The drive-through is really safe."
Read more from The Japan News at https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/