FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. _ The American Red Cross and the Salvation Army became the latest charitable organizations Friday to abandon plans for events at President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort.
They're among several philanthropic groups canceling plans at the resort as pressure mounts from business leaders over the president's comments about violence in Charlottesville, Va.
A spokeswoman for the Salvation Army told the Sun Sentinel on Friday that it will not host its Holiday Snow Ball in Palm Beach event at Mar-a-Lago, citing a shifting national conversation. The Salvation Army relies "heavily on fundraising events" like the ball as part of helping those in need, the group said in a statement.
"Because the conversation has shifted away from the purpose of this event, we will not host it at Mar-a-Lago."
The American Red Cross also nixed plans to host an annual fundraising event at the resort calling it a "source of controversy and pain" for volunteers, employees and staff.
"We believe this action will allow us to continue to put the focus on our lifesaving mission and the people we serve," according to a statement. "The Red Cross provides assistance without discrimination to all people in need, regardless of nationality, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or political opinions, and we must be clear and unequivocal in our defense of that principle."
Donald Trump has owned Mar-a-Lago, the Palm Beach estate built by cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, since the 1980s. Trump turned it into a private club and is using it as his Weekend White House.
On Thursday, three large funding organizations _ the American Cancer Society, Cleveland Clinic and American Friends of Magen David Adom _ pulled their events.
The American Cancer Society's event, held at Trump's Palm Beach estate for 11 years, nets about $450,000 for the organization, according to the American Cancer Society's local office.
The organization has started looking for another site for the fundraiser. It was held at Mar-a-Lago because of costs, venue requirements and other factors, according to the statement.
The Cleveland Clinic didn't give a reason for its decision. Before changing course, Cleveland Clinic spokeswoman Eileen Sheil had said last week that the hospital system's event was not political. Donors and executives had discussed it and agreed Mar-a-Lago met the organization's needs, she said.
The fundraiser has raised $700,000 to $1 million annually to expand programs and purchase equipment for the hospital system's Florida facility. It has been held at Mar-a-Lago the past eight years.
Two other organizations said Friday that their events would proceed as scheduled.
A spokesman for The Kravis Center for the Performing Arts said that as of Thursday afternoon, officials had not changed their minds. "The event has been held there for a number of years, and the people who are regulars at the event want to keep it there," said Gary Schweikhart, spokesman for the Kravis Center.
The Palm Beach Police Foundation said it, too, will stay the course. "The ball typically attracts 700 people, and it's the only venue in Palm Beach that will accommodate a crowd of that size," according to a statement issued from the foundation, which supports Palm Beach Police Department employees.