Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Helen Gregory

More funds needed for domestic violence sector: Hunter services

Help: VOCAL's Kerrie Thompson said more funding was needed so services "can put in the time and provide holistic support so that women can leave and be set up and be safe" and not restricted by lack of access to housing.

HUNTER services working with domestic violence survivors have welcomed funding for the sector, but said it still doesn't go far enough.

The state government announced on Wednesday - the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women - nearly 100 recipients in the federal government funded and state government allocated COVID-19 Sexual, Domestic and Family Violence Grant program, which comprises more than $12 million for initiatives including expanding regional counselling and crisis accommodation.

A Department of Communities and Justice spokesperson said Hunter recipients - Hunter Women's Domestic Violence Court Service Inc, Hunter Women's Centre, Family Planning NSW, Upper Hunter Homeless Support and Carrie's Place Domestic Violence and Homelessness Services - received more than $745,000.

VOCAL chief executive officer Kerrie Thompson said her service applied for grants for two programs - one to provide holistic support to families living with apprehended violence orders, the other to help families who had experienced violence to manage shared care between parents - but had unfortunately been unsuccessful.

"Our funding is all used up in general, so we have to wait until other grants become available," Ms Thompson said.

"There needs to be a lot more [funding] because of the service demand. We see it and I know a lot of other support agencies see it as well. Everyone is at capacity. It was like that before COVID, I think COVID has just exacerbated it all... that's just going to continue given the nature of how prevalent family violence is."

The grant funding follows $21.6 million for NSW frontline services announced in May, comprising $12.8 million from the state government and $8.8 million from the federal government.

NOVA For Women and Children chief executive officer Kelly Hansen said her service had received some federal government funding earlier this year, which she used to employ a mental health practitioner and open a safe hub for women at Charlestown.

She said she didn't apply for the latest round because the tender process was "not how we were initially told it would happen".

"The government needs to put in some investment in social housing," she said.

"You saw the federal and state budgets, it's appalling. If a woman is escaping domestic violence or a woman and a child and they come into a crisis shelter, then finding them affordable long term housing is so difficult.

"So you can fund as many services as you like, however if you're not going to fix up the systemic barriers and provide that infrastructure then you're band-aiding continually."

IN THE NEWS:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.