Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
Sport
Jeff Potrykus

Montee Ball sentenced to 60 days in jail

MADISON, Wis. _ Former University of Wisconsin and NFL running back Montee Ball on Friday pleaded guilty to two charges of disorderly conduct and one charge of battery as part of a plea agreement for his role in two domestic abuse incidents.

Ball, 25, was placed on 18 months probation and sentenced to 60 days in jail by Dane County Circuit judge William E. Hanrahan.

Ball, who is undergoing alcohol counseling, was ordered to undergo a certified domestic abuse treatment program and not have contact with the female victims.

While on probation, Ball is not allowed to consume or possess alcohol and cannot be present in any facility where alcohol is the primary commodity for sale.

"I know that you've received trophies and scholarships for pounding people on the gridiron," Hanrahan said in sentencing Ball. "But you have crossed the line. You've earned nothing but condemnation and scorn here for your actions.

"There is a difference between hitting big guys in helmets and protective gear and throwing around frail, young women that are vulnerable and depend on you.

"These are women that should have been able to trust you. They should have felt safe with you. You hurt them physically. You hurt them emotionally...

"You crossed the line I am sure in many of your supporters from being a hero to acting no differently than the other insecure bullies that I see coming through court here every day."

Ball faced a total of six charges _ two felonies and four misdemeanors _ from incidents in 2014 and earlier this year.

Ball in February was charged with battery and disorderly conduct, both misdemeanors after his girlfriend told police she had been thrown across a Madison hotel room.

A little more than a month later, Ball was charged with two felonies (strangulation and suffocation, substantial battery) and two misdemeanors (disorderly conduct) after a previous girlfriend told police she had been assaulted in 2014.

Ball and attorney Erika Bierma left the court Friday without commenting.

Speaking to Hanrahan, Ball said: "My counseling has been helping me out to correct my imperfections and I understand I made a few mistakes in my life and I'm willing to do whatever I need to do to help myself."

Ball played for UW from 2009 through 2012 and finished with 5,140 rushing yards, the No. 2 mark in program history. He was a two-time All-American and still has UW records for rushing touchdowns (77) and total touchdowns (83).

Ball was taken by Denver in the second round of the 2013 National Football League draft but lasted only two seasons with the Broncos before being cut.

He was signed by the New England Patriots and placed on the team's practice squad in December 2015 but was released last February.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.