A video shows the moment that a man tries to extinguish a BMW blaze on his driveway, as he waits for firefighters to arrive .
The clip, filmed from Garratt Way, in Gorton, earlier today (Saturday February 4) shows a man stood on his doorstep with a hosepipe. In the footage, a number of passers-by stand across the road and watch on as the flames grow and start blowing towards a nearby wooden fence.
At one point there is a shout to 'stand back' as one of the car's tyres explodes. Thankfully, the fire service arrived a short time later and managed to put the fire out.
READ MORE : Police charge man with string of burglary and theft offences
One eyewitness told the Manchester Evening News: "I heard cops shouting and people running over. Then I saw the fire and a bloke with a hosepipe trying to put it out.
"I've no idea how it started. The fire service came really fast though thankfully. "
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) did not disclose any information about how the blaze begun but confirmed that safety checks were carried out on neighbouring homes. A GMFRS spokesman said: “At approximately 3.30pm on Saturday, 4th February, fire crews were called to reports of a vehicle fire on Garratt Way, in Gorton.
"One fire engine from Gorton station quickly attended the scene. The fire involved a car parked on a driveway
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and carried out safety checks at nearby properties. Fire crews were in attendance for approximately 30 minutes.”
Read more of today's top stories here
- Ex-footballer detained at Manchester Airport over drugs operation faces losing property empire
- Boy, 14, warned of being 'stabbed up' before bag stolen at Greater Manchester bus station
- Woman in her 60s rushed to hospital amid Canal Street 'brawl'
- 'I came back from holiday to find I'd lost everything I'd ever worked for... even my cat'
- Nicola Bulley’s sister speaks out against police theory saying there's ‘no evidence’