Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
National
Colin Drury

Minneapolis shooting: Two people dead after guns fired in crowd

Photograph: Google

Two people have died and eight others injured during a mass shooting in the US city of Minneapolis, police have said.

Two men are believed to have opened fire on each other following an argument in a crowd close to the city’s Monarch nightclub during the early hours of Saturday morning.

It is not clear if those killed were also the shooters but officers said that the deceased were both male, that no arrests had been made and no active threat remained.

John Elder, spokesperson for the Minneapolis Police Department, said: "[Officers] observed numerous other people running through the area. It was a very chaotic scene. Officers dealt with a number of people who had been shot and were laying on the ground.”

He added that investigators were now in the process of collecting CCTV from the area.

Recommended

Of the eight injured, one man is in hospital with life threatening condition. The other seven – two more males and five women – are not thought to have suffered life threatening wounds.

The shooting took place around 2am local time along the 300 block of North 1st Avenue in the Minnesota city.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.